Thursday, July 12, 2007

Pigs

We are lost on back roads on our way to Bratislava. A cop ahead is waving at me to what i think is turn right in front of him. Wrong. 60kph in a 50 kph is a ticket. As he walks to the window I'm still not sure what the deal is, Mike and I are studying our map trying to figure out what bloody road we were even on. Cop starts to speak in Hungarian to me. I give him the universal no-idea-what-you-are-saying-I-am-a-stupid-monolingual-American look. He takes a deep breath. "Speed" I am stunned, I was going 60kph which is like slow (math computations to mph later) He writes down on paper 60/50 points at 60 "you" points at 50 "ok".

Alright, i am screwed, Budapest jail and cavity search coming up. I say sorry, throw a few lost tourist attempts at him. He takes a deep breath, "Fine" ah he is picking up English quick. "5000 Fine" After we negotiated our ticket in Poland from 1000k to 100 I figured my skills for debate we about to flourish. Just as i begin my retorte, he whips out a ticket book and starts writing. I explain to him the absurdity of the metric system and how minuscule 10kph really was in the greater scheme of life, but apparently his English stopped at "Fine", and "Speed". Then the sweet heart gave us directions back to the highway.

Hungary was a beautiful country but after two parking tickets and a "speeding" ticket I am glad to be out of it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A tad different than Toronto, where I sit right now. I routinely go 140 in a 100 zone. That's right up there with the Jersey Turnpike.

Unknown said...

You'd also be shocked as to how similar the Hungarian & Finnish languages are to each other. Their tolerance for alcohol doesn't compare, though. Us Finns aren't alcoholics...We're professionals!

Steve said...

our guide in Budapent mentioned the similarities of finnish and hungarian. all pops and clicks too me

Seven Dollar Bill said...

The only thing good from the Metric system is that a pound of weed is waaaaaay less than a kilo.

What? Where did that come from. Nevermind...metric sucks. ALthough there is a band named Metric from Toronto that is pretty good.